Here are a few more to add to your 'naughty/nice' list.
Foods that may relieve insomnia
- Pumpkin seeds - A good source of magnesium.
- Sesame seeds - Rich in tryptophan (a building block of serotonin).
- Cottage cheese - Contains tryptophan.
- Brown rice - Whole, unrefined grains may help calm the mind.
- Spinach - Loaded with magnesium, and rich in chlorophyll.
Foods that may cause insomnia
- Refined carbohydrates - Reduce the body's supply of vitamin B, used to produce serotonin.
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG) - Acts as a stimulant in some people.
- Bacon - Contains tyramine which can also act as a stimulant.
- Milk chocolate - Elevates energy levels and can act as a stimulant.
- Alcohol - Prevents restorative sleep.
Last updated: August 28, 2013