We recently came across a press release from Global Industry Analysts, Inc which gave us some hard statistics on the prevalence of sleeping pills.
- 10-20% of the global population uses sleeping pills or tranquilizers to relieve insomnia and other sleep disorders.
- The US is the largest market for sleeping pills - accounting for more than 48% of consumption.
- In 2008, 57.25 million prescriptions for sleeping pills were issued in the US.
- The number of people aged 20-45 who take sleeping pills doubled during the period of 2000 and 2004.
- Non-benzodiazepines such as Ambien, Sonata, and Lunesta are the most prescribed sleeping pills.
The press release also states that the global market for sleeping pills is expected to reach US $9 billion by 2015.
Perhaps it's no wonder that insomnia research is often lacking when unrelated to pharmacology.Improve your sleep without sleeping pills with my free sleep training. As always, there's more information and advice in our insomnia support group