A member of our insomnia help forums recently came across an article that explored nutritional influences on sleep and we wanted to share them here on the blog.
We've already written about the link between magnesium deficiency and insomnia caused by restless leg syndrome, but now we have a number of other vitamins and minerals to add to the list.
Links have been found between sleep problems and deficiencies in the following:
- Folic acid
Furthermore, the article states that the following supplements may be helpful:
- Vitamin B3/Niacinamide (A natural alternative to benzodiazepines)
- Vitamin B12 (May help normalize the circadian rhythm)
- Vitamin E (May relieve restless leg syndrome)
- L-Tryptophan (Found to be an effective hypnotic)
- L-5-Hydroxytryptophan (Increases REM sleep duration)
For more details, hit the source link below.[Thanks, Wendy]
Last updated: June 10, 2011